Friends (FSHCT) visit to Slindon September 2017
St Mary (C of E) and St Richard (RC), Slindon
Saturday 16 September 2017 at 2.00pm
The Domesday Book (1086) mentions a church at Slindon, and so it’s no surprise to find an 11th-century aisleless building concealed within St Mary’s, which was extensively restored in 1866.
Henry Petrie’s 1805 drawing suggests that part of it may have been timber-framed. Slindon House (now Slindon College) incorporates fragments of the medieval archbishops’ palace.
St Richard’s was built-in 1865 and contains a rare monument by Danish sculptor Bertel Thorwaldsen.
In the recent past St Mary’s has been in receipt of a Trust grant.
Tea will be provided at St Mary’s. The inclusive cost will be £10 per head. Please send a cheque made out to Friends of the Sussex Historic Churches Trust, together with the booking form below: